This house is the former home of a well known and much loved school teacher by the name of Effie Cowan . She taught kindergarten for many years in the city. The linden tree that is now on the front lawn was a gift from a friend of hers by the name of Brian Porter. As an aside, Brian too was a highly respected school teacher who has spent countless hours in retirement portraying Sir John A MacDonald with an incredible likeness to our Father of Confederation. At one time Effie rented rooms on the second floor to supplement her income.
Somerset House — This property also has an important contribution to the history of Brockville. The grey limestone two-story house, was built in 1859 by Benjamin Chaffey Jr. and he named it "Somerset" after his home county in England. He resided there until his death in 1867. In 1901 it and the neighbouring property became a boarding school known as the St. Alban's School for Boys, for 9 to 19 year olds. Somerset House was the home of the headmaster, the first being Rev. Dr. Charles Boulden, followed by Rev. Dr. Graham Orchard in 1906 and finally Alexander(Max) Mainwaring in 1919. The grounds included 3 tennis courts, a football and cricket field, chapel and gymnasium. After it's life as a boy's school(ending in 1949), under the ownership of Robert (Bertie) and Eve Mainwaring, it evolved into what is now known as St. Alban's Stables. They constructed a large indoor riding arena in the 1960's which is still in use today, on the original acreage. The city of Brockville has grown to surround the site, and today it is a piece of heaven and country, right in the city!